Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Chapters 1-4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lloydcrew/3279955360/
"Febrary 9, 2009" by Elizabeth Lloyd
When I first picked up the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver I thought, "Oh great, another book I have to read", but this book has actually turned out to be enjoyable. The book follows the first year of farming newcomer Barbara Kingsolver and her family. They move from the city of Tucson, Arizona to the rural area of southern Appalachia and make an agreement to eat better with as much locally grown food as possible. One particular thing Kingsolver finds very important is knowledge. We as consumers should be aware of what we buy and eat. Throughout these chapters (and the entire book) there are inserts from Kingsolvers daughter Camille Kingsolver and her husband Steven L. Hopp. I found the additions from Camille, who was a teenager at the time, to be very relatable. She speaks of asparagus in one addition. She speaks how she did not like asparagus at first but she wouldn't even try it. As she grew up she realized aspargus was actually very good. I do the same thing all the time, I thought I didn't like tomatoes now I do. This has happened with mushrooms, peanuts, and countless other foods. With Camille's reminder I intend to give spinach another chance! Perharps i'll try the spinach lasgna mention in the book. I'll keep you posted. If you would like to try any recipe mentioned in the book, visit here. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment