Thursday, March 17, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

As I searched in the library for the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver I thought to myself, "How can there be a whole section of a library filled with books like this? Who actually reads these things?" BUT as I began reading, it became more interesting. The thought of moving and starting a new life filled with all organic and local foods is actually intriguing.  Shocking, I know. Kingsolver also places side notes with certain memories that occurred with the chapter; in one chapter, she speaks of the time when she ate her sister's chickens. This story actually diverges into a list of pros and cons of being a vegetarian or a vegan. This side story really caught my attention, probably because I am a vegetarian. Anyways, this book also has recipes scattered throughout it that actually look good, and I might just have to try one and bring it in for the class. Another interesting thing about this book is that it also it has articles about food economics and animal welfare (...am I over stepping my boundaries?)

Happy Eating or Die
~Katie Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment