Sunday, March 20, 2011

Radiation in Japan's Food

We all know about the earthquake and the ensuing tsnami and the nuclear power plant. We know the devastation that it has caused the cities and towns of Japan, the lives it has taken. But what effect does these diasters have on food and agriculture? While on the Slow Food International website, which is a global organization founded to counter the rise of fast food, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world, (brought to my attention by the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver) I came across this article drawing my attention to the effect of radioactive waste coming from the destroyed power plant on the soil. I decided to find out more. I came across this article. Japan has already found traces of radiation in spinach, milk, and tap water in Toyko. Although the government says that the amount of radiation found is harmless I would still be concerned. This problem could get much worse. really fast. Read the article and tell me what you think.
~Organic or Die

1 comment:

  1. It seems like Japan is being hit by disaster after disaster. There is just no end. This topic really does interest me, as I was considering posting about it myself (you beat me to it!). I really hope they figure everything out. It is such a shame. Thanks for the information. It is such a powerful thing to know and understand what is going on in our world.

    -Taylor Glenn

    ReplyDelete